Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Well hello, Mr. Firsts

Ahh… let us ponder the pure evil of firsts. How is one ever able to realize their potential if one does not allow themselves to dive head first, recklessly into their (at the time) shallow pool of experience? What could I be permitted to enjoy if I were to wildly ignore the importance of firsts? From now on, I mean…

For as long as I can remember, I have expected perfection without practice. When something has not come naturally to me, I passed it off as, “oh, I’m just not meant to be a [painter, beat-boxer, photographer...etc…]" Some of you may see that as knowing my own limits – but I imagine most of you will see it as I have come to: a cop out. You could also see it as lazy, but I’m going to ask those of you who do to keep your opinion to yourself for the time being. I will let you know when you are free to share…

Well, no longer ladies and gentlemen. I am completely uninhibited - a real rebel - and I no longer expect perfection without some unedited failure. (Actually, if we’re being honest with each other – I’m about 80% pure inhibition and 20% terrified). But, what is important is that I have wanted to start this blog for a couple of years now and do you know what’s been keeping me from realizing my goal? This first post – I am terrified of this first post. What if it’s stupid, meaningless, and oh, dare I say, **gasp** not funny?!

So, because I am 70% of a rash and uninhibited, anti-perfectionist, I write for you my very first post and laugh in the face-o-firsts as I hit “publish” and shower my one follower (my husband who, incidentally, is bound by law to support me in all I do) with words of contemplation. Perhaps-maybe-possibly, some others will stumble upon my little blog... and if you are one of those stumblers, reader, and you find that you are like me: 60% pure inhibition and only 40% terrified... go ahead - grab Mr. Firsts by the balls! Wasn't it John Wayne who so eloquently said, "if you have them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow." Well, I say, 'One may not know what they're going to say or do next, but if you have them by the balls, at least you know they're listening...'

6 comments:

  1. Meadow! I'm so happy you started doing this! Can't wait to read more....LOVE you!!! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff, Meadow! I love the "about me" section! Wonderful list poetry!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally--a funny yet contemplative, easy to read, interesting blog that is not too short or too long. By working on letting go of perfection, you have absolutely attained it here. This post has been an inspiration to me, although the math has my head spinning. Can't wait for more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice first post. You are the first blogger I've ever followed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As in everything you do and have ever done, your amazingly engaging, createve, and playful spirit shines through. I pictured Ray in the jungle for a moment. Fun. Your awesome. Love. D

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much LUUUUUVE!!! Thanks for reading everyone!! I'm having fun knowing you all are enjoying it!! xoxoxooo!!!

    ReplyDelete